"The young today live mythically and in depth." - Marshall McLuhan, in his book The Medium is the Massage, 1967
The most important theme I went for with this collage of photos was darkness and the night. Almost all of the photos I selected are built around either physically dark parts of the frame or are shaped by a night tonality: a generally more unseen landscape. I went for this style because of how it connects to being young. In our twenties in America, we are more likely to be awake at hours of the night that see less traffic, that are by-design less traveled. In so many ways the night represents youth. It contains many of the experiences we will never forget for the rest of our lives. It is a time that, once we gain the full responsibilities of adult life, we will struggle to have time or health for. Youth is defined by the night. I based my photos on this premise.
Many of the photos show experiences I've had recently, such as seeing the band Real Estate live in Milwaukee. Others I took specifically outside at night. Most were experienced either at night or in dark areas and represent the kinds of things and places I've seen at these hours. In this way, my collage is a letter to my college self.
Seeing Real Estate live in Milwaukee
No comments:
Post a Comment