"We can no longer build serially, block-by-block, step-by-step, because instant communication insures that all factors of the environment and of experience coexist in a state of active interplay." - Marshall McLuhan, in his book The Medium is the Massage, 1967
I believe this McLuhan quote best represents the one-minute video I've made because it demonstrates how everything in modern media coexists regardless of basic identifiers such as date of publishing or subject matter. One example of the coexistence of media in my video comes from the audio and video. They are synced up, played at the same time, and yet they were recorded at vastly different times. The video clips themselves were taken at different times, and yet I cut them together to make the appearance of one continuous stream of footage. This is what you get with video as a medium: a coexistence and blending of time and space that presents as its own new story.
As for the actual content of my video, my friend and I go on a road trip to see Lake Superior and eat a couple of twinkies. Why? It makes me laugh. In several ways it also shows how media has changed in the past 20 years. Basically any person in the United States with an iPhone and a car can now do exactly what we did: buy two twinkies, drive to a lake, eat them, and record it all. I think that's beautiful.
The subversion between the topic and your friend's reaction to Twinkies made me laugh. Nicely shot and cut!
ReplyDelete